Legend has it that when the first Spanish Conquistadors ventured into Mosquito Bay, they were frightened by the glowing lagoon. They believed the bay was magical, and tried to close the entrance to keep out the bad spirits.
As a result, the bioluminescent bay of Vieques Island is the brightest in the world, and we know that it is not possessed by spirits, but actually the result of tiny micro-organisms called dinoflagellates. These harmless creatures have made the lagoon their home, and the people of Vieques are their safe keepers.
We invite you for a nighttime kayak under the stars. Meet your guides at Sun Bay, and then strap in for the ride. We transport you over the bumpy mangrove forest road before arriving at our launch location.
Once onsite we will get you outfitted with all the gear needed including organic mosquito repellant that will not harm the bioluminescence. Our guides explain to you the biology of this eco-system, and the protective measures to ensure it lasts for generations.
Learn some tips about kayaking, and fun facts about the bay. Once we arrive at the center of the bay everyone will have free time to enjoy splashing, viewing the wildlife, or just gazing into the stars of the nighttime sky. Our professional and friendly guides are there to lend a helping hand throughout the experience.
Your aventure awaits!
6:00 PM - Meet at Sun Bay for transportation to the Bioluminsecent Bay
6:15 PM - Arrive at the Bioluminescent Bay
7: 00 PM - Begin return trip to Bay entrance
7: 30 PM - Kayak trip concludes, depart the Bioluminescent Bay
7:45 PM - Arrive back at Sun Bay
8:00 PM - Excursion concludes
7:15 PM - Meet at Sun Bay for transportation to the Bioluminsecent Bay
7:30 PM - Arrive at the Bioluminescent Bay (45 minute kayaking excursion)
8:15 PM - Begin return trip to Bay entrance
8:45 PM - Kayak trip concludes, depart the Bioluminescent Bay
9:00 PM - Arrive back at Sun Bay
9:15 PM - Excursion concludes
Get all the gear you need to experience the Biobay!
- Brand New 2015 Kayaks with special lumbar back support seats, Adjustable Paddles, and Life Jackets. We ensure that you have the correct equipment to comfortably paddle without incurring stress or injury.
- Award Winning Guides with over 6 years experience available to provide an informative and FUN experience.
- Our special route includes 3 unique locations in the bay
- Extended time in the Biobay! Double the time as what is offered by other tour operators!
- Constellation Experience using our own laser pointers to examine the night sky and celestial movements.
- Round Trip Transportation from Sun Bay to Mosquito Bay in new, well maintained vehicles
- Snacks and refreshments included after the tour
- All inclusive of sales taxes, and biobay fee
- Private tours available upon request